Women’s Gynecological Surgery
One of the great successes in medicine over the past 40 years is in the surgical arena. Many surgeries that used to require days of hospitalization and prolonged recoveries have now become simpler and safer, with shorter recoveries and frequently no hospitalization. This is great news in gynecology as there are many female conditions where surgery is indicated to either diagnosis or correct the problem. Offering a complete range of surgeries and treatments, Associates in Women’s Health is the top women’s obstetric and gynecological surgeon in Gillette, WY. Excessively heavy or painful periods, endometriosis, fibroid tumors, loss of support for the pelvic organs, urinary incontinence, abnormal bleeding from the uterus, the desire for sterilization, and ovarian cysts or tumors are all common gynecologic problems that may need surgical intervention.
Dr. Jones has more than 25 years of surgical experience from which he draws when planning and designing the gynecologic surgery or procedure that’s right for you. Using state-of-the-art equipment and the most up-to-date approaches, he will guide you through the process from the time the decision for surgery is first made until the last post-op visit is completed and beyond. Moreover, you will be included in the decision-making of your particular female procedure at every step!
Some of the more commonly performed gynecologic surgeries include:
- Laparoscopy: a camera is placed into the abdomen through a small incision in the belly button. Other instruments can be placed through equally small incisions elsewhere on the abdomen. Laparoscopy is used to diagnose and treat endometriosis, release scar tissue, perform sterilization procedures, remove ovarian cysts or entire ovaries, and to remove the uterus (hysterectomy). It offers the advantages of greater precision, less blood loss, less post-operative pain, and shorter recovery. Additionally, it can typically be done in an outpatient setting, eliminating the need for hospitalization.
- Hysteroscopy: a small camera is slipped into the uterus through the cervix. This can be used to help diagnose and treat some types of abnormal uterine bleeding as well as to remove polyps or small fibroids. It is an incision-less procedure and female patients can expect to return to their normal routine the following day.
- Hysterectomy: gynecological surgery to remove the uterus. There are a variety of reasons this may be needed including heavy or frequent bleeding, fibroid tumors, chronic pain, excessively painful periods, endometriosis, uterine prolapse, or cancer. Hysterectomies can be performed abdominally, laparoscopically, or vaginally. Dr. Jones performs primarily laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomies, and most of these are done on an outpatient basis.
- Endometrial Ablation: with or without hysteroscopy this is a short, effective, incision-less procedure to treat many types of problematic uterine bleeding such as periods that are excessively heavy or prolonged. This procedure is done as an outpatient and patients can be expected to return to their regular activities the day after.
- Stress Urinary Incontinence: surgery to fix this focuses on improving the support for the bladder neck. These gynecological surgeries have become much simpler, easier to perform, and more reliable over the past 15 years and are now typically done in an outpatient setting with no more than a week or two before patients can return to work or their normal routine.
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse: a general term used to describe a variety of conditions involving the loss of pelvic or vaginal support, correcting these problems requires a full understanding of the complexity of the pelvic support system and a broad range of surgical skills to address them. Problems of this kind include cystoceles or “fallen bladders”, rectoceles, vaginal bulges, uterine prolapse, and vaginal prolapse after a prior hysterectomy. Dr. Jones is extremely knowledgeable in correcting all kinds of pelvic organ prolapse and will explain to you in easy-to-understand terms what is wrong and how it will be fixed.
At Associates in Women’s Health, we understand the intricacies and unique characteristics of female procedures, this makes us the top choice for women’s obstetric and gynecological surgeons in Gillette, WY. Dr. Jones has extensive knowledge and experience in the gynecologic field and personally performs all the gynecological surgeries so that you will feel comfortable knowing you’re in good hands. Schedule your appointment with us today and call us at (307) 682-4664